Tuesday, October 27, 2009

It takes a Village Day 12

Monday's Happenings....

Hannah had a good day today. She is doing great. They are slowly weaning her from the vent. They tried to go down a little more but the commotion from her roomy agitated her just enough that had to go back up on the vent. They were able to take her urine cath out which is a good thing and they started up her feeds again. She is getting a very small amount but at least she is getting some real food in her tummy :)

I called Grandma Teed tonight and she informed me that Caleb has started calling her mama. This just broke my heart! At what point did my child forget he had me, his mom? He will be home Tuesday (today) afternoon. I find myself so excited yet heavily burdened. I have 2 children who need me? How do you choose one over the other? You don't! So you decide who needs you more and up to this point it has been Hannah. After calling my in-laws today it became clear to me that Caleb needs my love now. He needs my attention.

I am now faced with how can I be in 2 places at once? The answer is I can't, I need help. Hannah needs someone to be here with her, to be her advocate but I need to be there for Caleb now and Ricky has to work. The problem is time stands still in hospitals but outside these many walls life goes on. I am so torn. So what to do? Everybody has been asking what they can do for us, I figured it out, I made myself ask for help, this was not an easy thing. How do you ask people to help you watch your kids when I should be capable of doing so? You let go of your pride!

I called the RS president in our ward and explained the situation at hand and with so much love and concern she said we will figure it out. That is just what she and many others are doing. There are women I don't even know who are willing to come sit with Hannah during the day while I stay at home with Caleb and give him some much needed stability.

I once again am finding myself overwhelmed with the love and support that others are offering my family. These are selfless acts of love that the Savior has taught by example. My hope is that some day I will be in a position to give freely of my love serve others in need.

I am not going to pretend that I like having to ask other women to come sit with Hannah because I do not like it. However, it is clear that Caleb needs his mama at this time in his life. So I will put my trust in the hands of these wonderful ladies and let them help me. Thank you to all who are willing to help and for all the prayers offered in our behalf! Thank you Kayleen for raising my doodle bug (Caleb) these past 2 weeks. We love you and John and we are so grateful for all that you have done. I am finding that at this point in my life it is going to take a village to help raise my children.

Love,
Sam

4 comments:

Kristin said...

A village that is more than willing to do what ever is needed. We love you and your family.

Kristy said...

Sam- You are doing great and making great choices for your family. As you have said, a mother knows best. I have been following your story and want you to know you are in my thoughts and prayers. You are a strong woman and are helping your family get through a difficult time. It is great to know those sisters from your ward will look out for Hannah as they would their own children so you can spend some time with Caleb. Sending love your way...

-Kristy Walker

Jennifer said...

Kids have called me "mama" after just one day of babysitting them. I know it does not mean they have forgotten who their real moms are, or that someone else has taken their place. Sam, no one will ever take your place! Caleb might need some time to adjust, but he will remember who you are very quickly. Tanner was a little confused when we picked him up from my brother's house after a five-day trip, but it didn't take long for him to figure out who we were. I wish I could come sit with Hannah! Have fun with Caleb!

lisaellsworth said...

I'm glad you are able to be home with Caleb. I think about you guys a lot. Thanks for the blog updates!